[pct-l] ticks-incidence of Lyme disease.

I am interested in finding out what the incidence of Lyme disease is on
various parts of the PCT.

There are ticks here in Washington.  Every spring I forget they are here
until I find one.  Usually the first one is that achy feeling that an
embedded tick produces.  Seems like I am only sucessful in getting  those
embedded buggers out about half the time.(including tweezers,etc).

I've had embedded ticks on the PCT twice - the resulting 6 inch
swelling(red, tender, itchy) is always a little disconcerting.  In the Lake
Isabella emergency room for another matter, the doctor zeroed in on the
remains of one of these invaders, and dug it out with a scalpl.  He gave me
a perscription for the antibiotic that is used to prevent  lyme disease.
The real problem is that I am allergic to most antibiotic and was to that
one(the drug of choice, with few viable aternatives)

My questions was what was I risking.  What are the percentages that the tick
that I had was carrying Lyme disease? I know that various federal agencies
monitor the tick population for the prevalence of Lyme disease.  Does
anybody know where I can fine some of these studies.

I have always choosen not to take the antibiotic; mostly because I do not
have a choice, and the secondary drug choices are much less effective and I
still have reactions to them.

I you do have the problem, it would be nice to have the foreknowedge of
disease prevelence to balance whether you should do the heroics of taking
the antibiotic, assuming that you can tolerate it.

You do not really have a second chance: Seems like the average diagnosis for
Lyme disease takes 7 years, and by that time it is very difficult to do
anything about.

Joanne