[pct-l] Fishing

Correct me if I'm wrong.  I have heard the Department of Fish and Game is no longer stocking any of the backcountry lakes in the Sierras (the one's away from the roadends and trailheads).  I was told last summer they ran out of moneyabout 5 years ago and haven't stocked anything but the lower lakes and streams.  I can vouch for the fact that some of the higher elevation lakes are sterile and a few like Moon Lake and Puppet Lake no longer have fish.  My son and I tried fishing them last year with no luck at all.  Not a ripple in sight.  We had fished them about 5 years ago and caught a bundle.  Anybody have any info on this?
              Eric