[pct-l] Washington section

John,

I'm pleased to your passion for the trail and concern for thru-hikers this
year.  However, before sending this note, I think it would have been wise to
check with the PCTA and read the most recent Communicator article by Tim Stone,
the USFS PCT Manager, on section K.  I think that you are expecting a lot from
the PCTA and perhaps that would be appropriate if you were suggesting specific
solutions.  Get involved in the PCTA and you will get a much better
appreciation for all that they do, with the meager resources they have and attract.

There is a certain amount of panick in your message, as though, this is the
single greatest obstacle that a thru-hiker could ever experience.  Many
thru-hikers will testify that there are many, much larger obstacles on the trail,
some of the biggest right in your own head.

You'll be dissapointed in your organization if they don't warn the 2004
hikers of section K's status?  They already have warned them!  There have been
several posts to the PCT-List that I have personally forwarded on this specific
subject.  There are notes about it on their website.  There have been articles
in the Communicator.  What else do you expect from them?  Are there other
avenues of communication that you recommend?

I look forward to your involvement to help find solutions to this temporary,
rather insignificant problem considering it is only 30 miles out of 2,650
miles (just a tad over 1%).

Sincerely,

Greg Hummel

In a message dated 2/20/2004 7:01:38 PM Pacific Standard Time,