[pct-l] giant sequoias

>>Sly wrote:
>>

>LOL..  It would be tough to ignore elevation changes!  Anyone know the total
>gain from Giant Forest (start) to Mt Whitney?   And how tough it would be to
>get a permit?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Sly

Giant Forest (actually, Crescent Meadow) about 6,500.  Climbs up to
10,800 at Kaweah Gap, drops to 9,600 at Big Arroyo, climbs to 10,500 on
Chagoopa plateau, drops to 6800 in Kern Canyon (Funston Meadow), climbs
to 10,800 at PCT junction in Crabtree Meadow, climbs to  13480 at Trail
Crest , and to 14500 at Whitney summit.  You do the math.
There is a marvelous, isolated, tourist- free redwood grove you can hike
through at Redwood Meadow. It includes a hikers campsite  nestled among
very giant sequoias (1 tenth mile north of the stock campsite and old
cabin complex).  If you really want to see redwoods, start at Crescent
Meadow, go south at Bearpaw Meadow, hike thru Redwood Meadow, and cross
the Great Western Divide at Black Rock Pass, to Little Five Lakes and
Big Arroyo, where you can continue on the high sierra trail.  You miss
spectacular Valhalla and Kaweah Gap, but you also miss the crowds.  The
trail from Lone Pine Creek crossing to Kaweah Gap is carved into the
side of a vertical face.  The view is tremendous as this country is
extremely vertical, but the exposure is terrifying at times, and it can
be very hot in midday. Hamilton Lake is so overused and crowded that it
has numbered, designated campsites.  Big Arroyo is lovely and far less
crowded.  Moraine Lake is especially lovely.  Kern Hot Spring is
awesome.   Beware of troublesome bears at Lone Pine Creek and Pinto
Lake.  Pinto Lake has a huge bear box and a very assertive bear.
Last year our big trip was Kearsarge Pass-Glen Pass-Paradise
Valley-Avalanche Pass-Elizabeth Pass-BlackRock Pass-Kern
Canyon-Forester-Kearsarge so we got to do the route I describe from
Elizabeth Pass to Bearpaw to Black Rock Pass and back to the Kern
trench.  We did Valhalla in 2000 on a different giant loop.  We've hiked
about all the trails in SEKI that can be accessed from the east.  It is
all spectacular.
The High Sierra trail route is detailed in the Wilderness Press book
Sierra South.
There are actually Giant Sequoias in Kern Canyon, near the ranger
station, but they are young, so not very giant.
Marion