[pct-l] Whippet/iceaxe

In a message dated 2/20/04 10:04:38 PM, shawmanford@yahoo.com writes:

<< As it turned out, no one I knew of or heard about on the 2003 hike needed
their ice axe in the area they carried it for which was the High Sierra.
Ironically, the only time anyone in the group I fell in with ever needed an ice axe
was in the Goat Rocks Wilderness in Washington State on a ice sheet that
covered the trail for about 100 feet across a very steep hill side. A fall there
would lead to long slide into a very cold lake. I was the only one with an ice
axe of any kind and it was very dull from digging cat holes. Still, we all got
across.

After reading Deep Survival, I recognize your argument as simple
rationalization. Just because Fido crossed a busy street 10 times and made it doesn't mean
he will make it on his eleventh attempt. He might think so because he has
never experienced failure, but it simply a mental illusion.

   The real question is what are you going to do IF you slip and fall into
that cold lake. What is your reaction going to be: are you going to in deep
shock because you assumed your plan AND backup plan would work but didn't, leaving
you clueless about what to do? Or are you going to be able to improvise and
get yourself out of a fix because you EXPECTED the possibility of failure and
therefore were mentally prepared to deal with the situation.

   Equipment isn't the answer. It decreases the odds of failure, but at the
same time psychs you up to enter places where angels fear to tread. Equipment
is simply an enabler to disaster. It's how you REACT when an inherently
hazardous situation turns to disaster that counts. When it comes to odds, everything
devised to overcome them is simply rationalization. "No matter how careful you
are, sooner or later you are going to throw snake eyes"

   If you cross enough steep snow without an ice ax sooner or later you will
slip and fall. If you cross enough steep snow with an ice ax, sooner or later
you will slip and fall, but statistics show that you will, on average, LESS
times than someone with an ice ax.
   Wanna bet?
   David C