[pct-l] JMT/PCT/River trail

I have taken all these trails in both directions.  Each has its advantages.
The JMT is a scenic rollercoaster.  It climbs and drops, climbs and
drops.  The hike from the ridge south of Garnet Lake to the Outlet of
1000 island Lake is possibly the most scenic part of the entire JMT.
Horse packers use the JMT from Red's Meadow to Shadow Lake, but we saw
no evidence of horse use between Shadow Lake and 1000 Island Lake.  We
found a really fine campsite off trail near the Trinity Lakes last
year.  3 different groups were working on the trail between Trinity
Lakes and Shadow Lakes.   PCTA volunteers did trail work last year near
Garnet Lake.
The PCT High trail first has a dusty riverside walk between Red's Meadow
and Agnew Meadow.  Then it climbs gradually with several switchbacks to
a high contouring trail with great views.  As we hiked south on this
trail last year, late in July, we met three maximum size strings of pack
horses, and the trail was very muddy and beat up.  But we love this
trail anyway for its spectacular views of the Minaret/Banner range.
The River trail stays low as long as it can.  It also gets much horse
use, so it is broad and dusty.  But it is also easy on the body.  When I
got injured near Agnew Lake and needed a quick hike out to Agnew Meadow,
we took the river trail as it was fast and easy.  Definitely not scenic,
compared to the other two.