[pct-l] Why Hike Solo

----- Original Message -----
From: <StoneDancer1@aol.com>

> There's been a lot of discussion about ways to facilitate a solo hiker's
> end-of-trip logistics.  One of the marvelous things about the trail is
that you
> never know what's over the next rise, around the next switchback.  I find
this
> to likewise apply to town experiences.  >

Oddly one of my most memorable experiences was having my food box "stolen"
from the religious camp above Sisters.  The tracking people said it arrived.
The box wasn't there.

I hitched down into Sisters to the big grocery store on the edge of town and
bought food for five days, and did the whole tear apart the pack, get rid of
garbage, etc., in the park near the store.  I did feel like an alien as Ray
suggested.  Dirty, sweaty, lots of crap spread around - fodder for the
cleanites in their winnebagos.  Luckily hitching was a breeze both ways...

I'm glad that I can mail/drop off boxes along the way.  It took a number of
hours to readjust to being back in the wilderness...

Jeff Olson
Laramie