[pct-l] Crampons YES; YakTrax NO

What's your life worth?

If you don't need crampons, don't carry them. If you might need them, carry the real thing, and an ice axe because once you do fall, your crampons can become your worst enemy if they touch the slope and bite in while you're sliding. You might get by going cheap - it depends on your skill level, luck, and the conditions you meet. If you're feeling lucky, put screws in your shoes or use in-step crampons - REI sells a tiny 4-pointer that hurt my feet when I walked in them and left me feeling very unsteady rocking in them. Your results may vary.

Here's a great souce out of Seattle for crampons - both full-size and less.
http://www.promountainsports.com/crampons.shtml

Personally, I carry the Camp 6 Point Crampons - 8 oz per pair  $58.
They cover my sole from my toes to the arch of my boot, leaving my heel free for plungestepping.

Were I going where I expected the snow to be long, steep, and/or  frozen, (like on Mount Hood) I'd carry the Stubai 10 point crampons - 21 oz the pair $100 - and use my whole foot to hold me. In reality, I probably wouldn't make the trip at that time of year. I'd wait for the stuff to melt out of there, but you might not have that option.

If you anticipate vertical ice, nothing short of full-on 12 point crampons will do. I won't do ice climbing - PERIOD!