[pct-l] carrying and shipping alcohol

I don't think that there is much reason to mail yourself alcohol on the
PCT: It is
widely available in methyl form as gasline antifreeze (HEET is one brand).
You don't really want IsoHEET, but that will work also.  Here is a list of
places where I bought alcohol of some sort:

Idyllwild (grocery store, hardware store, Taquitz Motel hiker box)
Big Bear City (lots of stores, check in the fire station for a free stash)
Agua Dulce (or, rather, the towns around it)
Kennedy Meadows (only one store, but lots of HEET)
VVR (denatured by the ounce)
South Lake Tahoe (the big grocery store by Nevada)
Dunsmuir (the gas station across from the B&B)
Ashland (gas station by the donut shop)
Sisters (the big grocery store)
Cascade Locks (the gas station across from the diner)
Snoqualmie (the now closed gas station, but the other one in
town should have it)

I didn't look in Wrightwood, as I didn't need any there.  Warner Springs
had IsoHEET.  Mojave had nothing, not a drop, which was surprising.
I believe Tuolumne has fuel, but can't recall for sure. Ditto for
Sierra City. Chester has a mega grocery store and should have
HEET.  Get a 20 oz. soda bottle and make sure it is full when you leave
Agua Dulce so that if Mojave is dry again you won't have a problem.
Similarly, if you are not going into Sister, just make sure it is
full when you leave Ashland.  When you leave Cascade Locks, do the
same thing in case Snoqualmie and Skyomish are dry.

Suge

Christopher Willett
Department of Mathematics
Indiana University