From: "Marge Prothman" <marge@prothman.org>
To: <pt@hikertrash.com>; <PCT-L@mailman.backcountry.net>
Sent: Saturday, February 07, 2004 1:27 PM
Subject: RE: [pct-l] (Guest Post) Northern Washington in June

Hello Tony,
Nice to see you back on the list and that you are safe.

It would appear that you left the trail at Stevens Pass in 2001.  the
biggest obstacle, I think,you will face will be Stevens Pass to Rainy Pass
(or to Stehekin). This past winter, this section was damaged severely with
mud slides and actual hill sides being washed out.  In one case where the
trail is up high, this part of the trail was actually washed down and is now
a cliff.  The Hot Springs and the cabin at Kennedy was covered completely.
All the necessary bridges were washed out.  At the moment I think the USFS
is waiting for Spring to assess the damage and try to figure out an
alternate trail for the PCT for the next couple of years.  There is severe
damage and will take awhile for the money to be appropriated to either
replace or whatever is needed. I think, there will be an alternate trail
designated but not in the month of June. I do think June could be a
avalanche month with heavy snows warming up and especially in the chutes.
So for what it is worth, my two cents.

A few years ago I spent time in Khirghizstan (same as Kyrgyzstan) just a
different spelling I think. It was marvelous up high on the green meadows
surrounded by snow capped hills. It was  a trip over the Karakorum Hiway
from Uzbekistan to Pakistan.  One of the best trips ever and the worst roads
ever.
Good Luck,

 Marge   [The Old Gal]
http://www.prothman.org/marge