[pct-l] hiking in a dress?

the snowy Owls were hiking in a short kilt like skirt in 2001.

I have hiked for a month at a time in shirts that are almost down to my
ankles, both in a light rayon fabric and in a heavy twill.  The main
problems I found at these:  These offer good veniltation but often it is
way over the top, literally your shirt may be over your head in a good
wind, even very heavy material.  In any kind of cool breeze, you will lose
heat very fast, the large thigh muscles and buttocks are exposed directly.
I sometimes hung my hand down grabbed all the loose material and just
walked that way.  On a down slope, the back edge of your shirt will be
trailing in the dirt or mud; you learn to lift it delicately to the right
level to prevent drag and getting caught.  The skirt will catch on
everything and a few things that you had not even thought of (Like your own
pack, buckles, twisted loops and webbing.).  Often your hands will be
occupied with the skirt, hiking poles , eating, etc at limited at these
times. It does not solve the problem to wear a tight skirt instead of a
full skirt, because you need freedom of movement and most of the advantages
of a skirt are related to having enough material to sit on, cover yourself
loosely, etc. I wore my long underwear under the skirt to solve most of
these problems in the cold.  In the mountains and desert, wind will often
be a consideration.

On snow, there is no protection, either from sunburn, or from Abrasion (you
can erode the first layer of skin slipping on icey snow in a matter of
seconds).

Obviously, the skirt is little protection from mosquitos.

You might consider using a skirt in Northern California, where there will
be less range in temperature and maybe fewer mosquitoes.

Joanne