[pct-l] Whitney Scoop

""""    The increasing number of hiker on Mt. Whitney has caused another
mountain
"Human Waste" The Forest Service has proposed an alternative "Pack it
out."'"""""

This is not an uncommon procedure, especially on the rivers. If you were to
run the Snake
or the Salmon river here in Idaho in your Kayak or Raft, when you get your
permit you have to show a system that will hold the human waste until you
get to a 'Scat' station along the river (usually at the put outs). There are
many ways of doing it. So if the bulk of the people who are getting the
permits to climb  Whitney are just there for a few days, then I see no
problem carrying your waste out and disposing of it at a Scat Station by the
Ranger Station. I think the thru hiker will just do what he or she would
normally due, not pay attention to it.
Just my 2 cents worth.

Marge   [The Old Gal]
http://www.prothman.org/marge