From: "Christopher Willett" <chwillet@indiana.edu>
To: "bob mayon" <3points@ispwest.com>
Cc: <pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net>
Sent: Wednesday, January 21, 2004 4:50 AM
Subject: Re: [pct-l] hostels along the trail

> Just as a reminder to those on the list who may not have been on in the
> early fall, Mr. Skaggs was requiring labor or money for their stay, or
> even just for a bit of rest. While
> certainly not unreasonable, it would have been nice to know this in
> advance.  That is the reason that I am posting this.
> I was asked to paint his fence for forty minutes (the white one you
> see in the picture on the front of the webpage),
> in the middle of a Mojave afternoon, in return for some water and
> a place to sit in the shade for 2 hours.  Many other hikers were there
> painting in the afternoon.  I eventually got off with moving some
> rose clippings around and left after 30 minutes, my task done.  Note that
> there is a
> store about a mile walk from the HWY crossing and that the LA aquaduct
> is about a 20 minute walk down the trail.  The school listed in the
> guidebook was quite closed.  With a
> little care, you can get
> down the embankment of the aquaduct to get some water from it.
>
> Other thruhikers had, shall we say, a somewhat unpleasant stay on Mr.
> Skaggs property.  But, those are for others to tell.
>
> Suge
>
> On Tue, 20 Jan 2004, bob mayon wrote:
>
> > I'm staying in my old 1951 Nashua Trailer at Jack Fairs old place in
Neenach ...I moved out of the Three Points Roadhouse since my brother and I
aren't getting along to well these days..The property looks pretty good here
now, and Richard Skaggs  and his wife have said they would like to keep it
open to the hikers..I know last year towards the end, Richard got a little
stressed with so many people here all at once.....and trying to construct
things.. ... but things are fine now...I'm gonna help him this year....I
made a web site up for the place ...You can see it at:
http://members.ispwest.com/3points/index.html