[pct-l] South-bound questions

Hi Adrian
I did the North-South hike from Manning Park to Cascade Locks in
August-Sept 2003. Being an 'alien' Australian I was also concerned about
the border crossing. I travelled to Vancouver and did all my mailing of
food drops from there. Then I travelled by Greyhound to Manning Park
arriving at 9:30 at night. I walked across the border next day without
seeing any officials from either side.

I figured that my passport and PCT thru hikers permit would be
sufficient to establish my identity and the purpose of my travel if I
met any officials. The border guards are concentrating on real risks and
not hikers. Why would they post people there to catch maybe one thru
hiker every few weeks going N-S? Even if they did catch them, what would
be the chances that they would be a terrorist or illegal immigrant?

I was originally concerned about not having an entry stamp to USA in my
passport, but this was solved when we were forced to "enter" USA   in
Honolulu. You should keep your I-9 form for use on departure from USA.
By going to Seattle first you will enter USA legally.

On my return to Canada from USA after the hike (I returned to Vancouver
and flew back to Australia from there) you only pass through Canadian
border control, no worries there.

All border and customs officials were very helpful and friendly, perhaps
I don't look like a terrorist?

So my advice is to continue your N-S planning. It was a fantastic hike
and I had the great honour to meet and be inspired by  ALL of the thru
hikers coming north. Take plenty of film.

Feel free to contact me direct if you need any planning advice. Also
look up the Hobbit web site. Use Craig's PCT Planner. I am 57 yrs old
and I was able to average around 15 miles per day including resupply
breaks. If you are fit you can go faster (it also depends a lot on the
weather)  20-25 miles a day is easy in good weather but why not enjoy
the views?

best regards
David Booth
Carmans Man
Canberra Australia

Slowly I start with my planning for this years section hike from the
Canadian border to Oregon. I was thinking of flying into Seattle early
August where I would prepare and send off my mail-drops. One possibility

then would be to take Greyhound and travel to Manning Park via
Vancouver.
Since with my Swiss passport I am a bit worried about the border
sitation,
i.e. re-entering the US via the Green Border, I wonder if there is a
possibility accessing the northern terminus of the PCT from the South,
i.e.
without leaving the States?
The other questions is how many miles per day can I expect to make
during
this August-September hike, taking into account the shorter days. I am
in
reasonable good shape and averaged 20 miles on the AT (including days
off)?
Thanks
Adrian alias Matterhorn AT01