From: pct-l-bounces@mailman.backcountry.net
[mailto:pct-l-bounces@mailman.backcountry.net] On Behalf Of Teflon
Sent: Friday, January 16, 2004 7:18 PM
To: judsonb@internetcds.com; pctl (E-mail)
Subject: Re: [pct-l] dehydrating food

Judson

All food dehydrators are not created equal.  You'll want to look for one
with the following features:

Horizontal Airflow (via fan)
- dehydrates much faster than vertical flow (stacked) models

Adjustable Temperature
- some foods need to be dehydrated at different temps

Timer
- very nice to have ... just set the dial and come back later

I highly recommend the 9 tray Excalibur #3926T.  We ran it almost 24
hours / day for 12 straight weeks without a problem.  (that was enough
to make lunches and dinners for 2 people for six months)

You can find it here:

http://www.excaliburdehydrator.com/cat7.htm

If you're serious about dehydrating a lot of food, I wouldn't go with
anything less than a 9 tray model.  The dehyrdator will be the bottle
neck in your process.

Also, if you're going to dehydrate lots of food, consider locating your
dehydrator outside of your normal living space.  The smell of
dehydrating food will get to you after a while.  We converted an outside
storage closet into a dehydration room and it worked great.

-Teflon