[pct-l] snow training

Hello everyone,

I?ve been looking through the archives to find some info on where to learn how to deal with the snow, but my eyes are starting to hurt do I will just ask.  I live in Houston where we get 1/4" of snow (or snow like stuff) about every 10 years soooo? where can I learn how to not fall hundreds of feet down a slope, how to self-arrest, how not to start an avalanche, etc? Is learning from others ?on the job? sufficient? Is there a class I need to take somewhere? Will I learn fron others at the bottleneck at Kennedy Meadows assuming I haven?t died before then? ;) FWIW, I  have backpacking experience including a small part of the CDT but nothing with serious snow.