From: pct-l-bounces@mailman.backcountry.net
[mailto:pct-l-bounces@mailman.backcountry.net]On Behalf Of Gray
Sent: Tuesday, January 13, 2004 10:49 PM
To: pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net
Subject: RE: [pct-l] Being a good list contributor / message to new
listmembers

> When long-term list members throw out that "I'm tired of
> answering this---Go
> search the archives" response, it serves no purpose.  All
> this does is deter
> that new hiker from posting future inquiries.  Instead of "go
> search the
> archives", I think it would be more helpful to say something
> like:  "this
> topic was discussed recently.  Look at the posts from late
> December with
> subject lines of xxxx, yyyy, zzzz"

I think it would be a lot more helpful to have a nice, easily accessible
online FAQ, perhaps with a once a month, or once a quarter posting of a
text version of it.

I'll officially volunteer to organize one, if you all want to mail me
topics that you think should be there, and the more info (links,
references to specific posts from the archieves, etc).

Let me know if this is something you (as in, you the list members) would
like to see something like this.

Gray