[pct-l] Snow Camping in Washington

At 11:10 AM 1/11/04 -0800, Joanne Lennox wrote:

>You might just get a list of the Sno-Park locations, because that is the
>only places that you can leave your car,

       ---> As long as there are an absence of "No Parking" signs you may
leave your car in any place that is plowed "off the pavement" is my
understanding.
Granted these are far and few in-between.

Figure out how you are going to anchor the tent before you
>go; many tent stakes are not much good( you can put a stick or branch
>through the loop of the tent guy and bury it)

          ---> Be careful- if the snow has a high moisture content (liek in
the Sierra usually)
and it freezes overnight your tent can become quite bound into the
stake/snow now-ice
combo-- I learned the hardway and now always use a slip knot that can be
pulled loose
ABOVE the surface of the snow freeing the tent loop/guy from the anchor which
usually has to be put parallel to the ground to do any good and consequently
freezes in solid. Hwoever with the slip knot it is an easy matter to free and
pull out the tent guy string/rope/loop very easily around the frozen anchor.

Richard