[pct-l] Kennedy Meadow Transportation

You have several options, as others have written.

A few issues: how fast will you hike? what will the snow be like? where will
you start again? I expect that once you get down to the East side,
transportation will be the same regardless of where you come out. Good thing
you are going to Denver - you will still be acclimated to the elevation when
you get back.

In 2000, it was easy to reach Kennedy Meadows a week before June 15th
starting in Campo at the end of April. And since there wasn't much snow,
many folks reached or just about reached Tuolumne Meadows by the end of June
including the side trip to Mt. Whitney.

That means you could go out from several places and still have time to get
to Denver. If you want a lot of time off, go off at Kennedy Meadows or Trail
Pass; otherwise, I would try Independence.  Unfortunately, you probably
won't know the conditions until you are there, so you will need to just
guess (or carry extra supplies).

Distances from Kennedy Meadows:
    Trail Pass before Cottonwood Pass to Lone Pine  (40 miles + 2 1/2 to
trailhead)
            Never done it, but suppose to be relatively easy
    Whitney/Whitney Portal to Lone Pine (64 miles + 7 to junction + 9 to
trailhead)
            This is a steep climb back to the junction
    Kearsage Pass to Independence (85 miles + 9 to trailhead)
            Fine trail

Marshall Karon
Portland, OR
m.karon@comcast.net