[pct-l] adiabatic/katabatic air

	then CMountainDave wrote:

>Oh how true this is! We were camped in the Olympics and the exact same thing
>occurred: all the cold air sank and stayed along the creek bed. It was cold
>and damp. You could see your breath and people were dressed warmly
>with hats on.
>I climbed up a hill about 200 vertical feet to a clearing and it was sunny,
>warm and dry. I stripped down to shorts and took a sun bath for a couple of
>hours. When I went back to the main camp, everyone was still bundled up. They
>thought I was nuts when I told them how much warmer it was just a few hundred
>yards away uphill

	Getting a much later start than my companions, I caught up to
them at Monache Mdws at near darkness.  I knew better than to join
them bedded down in the meadow, but I joined them because it was dark
and I was tired.  Laying on top of my groundcloth on the gentle slope
between the meadow's center and the surrounding higher ground, I
could feel the slow settling of the cooler air.  With my head upslope
of my feet, all night long I had a tough time sleeping with this cold
draft wanting to displace the warm air out of my bag.  I awoke in a
frost-covered sleeping bag.
	(Gunnison CO is frequently listed as the nation's cold spot
for this exact reason.  I'd imagine Gunnison gets pretty wide
temperature swings between dawn and midday.)
	I like overnighting on the Mt Baden-Powell summit at least
once each summer, and conversely I've found that at sunset it cools
down rapidly, becoming quite cool.  Yet, I always awake around 1 to
2am sweating, it's so warm out.  I imagine that at sunset the higher
cooler air traps the lower hot desert air in an inversion, but as the
night progresses the warm ground air, compressed from above, gets
displaced and updrafts against the mountain slopes. Does anyone know
if my assumption on this is correct?

Kevin Corcoran