[pct-l] Re: convinced-Goat Rocks

>> I am totally convinced that a cart is out of the question and dangerous, I am
>> convinced that a string of pack animals are the only way to go, and several
>> wrote and informed me so, I am convinced that a over weight handicapped
>> person, can do this with no problems, providing I take enough food, I have
>> convinced my son to do this first trip with me, from the Columbia River to
>> whites pass in May,that will be the drop of & pick up area,does any body have
>> an idea just how far and how long it will take, remembering that this is
>> going to ba a big hike and camp out,first trip,,,,! <<
>
> From: "Marge Prothman" <marge@prothman.org>
> Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2004 12:41:40 -0700
>
> A string of pack animals may or may not be a good idea going over the Goat
> Rocks.
> Cheers,
> Marge (the old gal)

Marge is right. If this is your first trip, I urge you NOT to take your pack
animals over the Goat Rocks between Snowgrass Flat and Elk Pass. The trail
is very narrow as it goes along the ridge crest. Also, there are times when
you are walking on a narrow ledge and another point there is an icy glacier
to cross.

Last summer, when our group hiked over this stretch (some call it the
"Knifes' Edge"), there was an experienced horse party behind us. One of the
horses lost its footing on the glacier, slipped and slid down the rock
field, cutting its leg badly. The leader of the horse party later told me he
would have never taken that stretch of trail if he had known how difficult
it was for stock. I am sure that are experts who can do it, but for a
first-time trip you are asking for trouble, in my opinion.

Here is a link to some pictures of that stretch:
http://staff.washington.edu/griffin/day14.html

Tom Griffin
Seattle
http://staff.washington.edu/griffin/pct.html