From: pct-l-bounces@mailman.backcountry.net
[mailto:pct-l-bounces@mailman.backcountry.net] On Behalf Of Jim Keener
Sent: Monday, January 05, 2004 9:15 AM
To: Pacific Crest Trail
Subject: [pct-l] Failed Bag/Tent Combination

Greetings:

I camped at Point Reyes National Seashore in Marin County, California
this
weekend at a place called Glen Camp. Don't know the temperature, but
there
was frost on the ground and my Tarptent, and puddles had frozen over.
There
was fog in the air and the ground was super-saturated due to recent
deluges
in the area.

I was very cold when I got in the bag (Marmot Helium - rated to 15F) and
never did warm up well. Lots of condensation - on the tent and the bag.
The
bag got wet from the condensation. By 4 a.m., I was shivering. Got up,
ate
and hiked.

This was okay for one night. But I'm concerned about Washington. The
idea of
putting that bag away wet and getting back into it without its being
dried
has me very concerned. I'm looking for ideas.

I still like the Tarptent a lot and plan to carry the Helium on the JMT
part
of the trail, but as I wrote, I am concerned about Washington.

Peace,
Jim

http://pct04.com