[pct-l] Mars

In a message dated 1/4/2004 12:04:25 PM Eastern Standard Time,
CMountainDave@aol.com writes:

> And you can really pile on the gear because of the low
> gravity. Gives ultralight a new meaning

Just so you all know.....

The surface gravity on a planet can be determined from Newton 's Law of
Universal Gravitation:

F = G m1m2 / R2

This says that a planet of mass m1 and radius R will exert a force on an
object (you) of mass m2

F = G m1m2 / R2

So we can relate the force on the surface of Mars to the force on the surface
of the Earth. It will change like:

mMars / R2Mars

Since Mars has a mass that is 0.11 times the mass of the Earth and a radius
that is 0.53 times the radius of the Earth we expect the surface gravity to be

0.11/(0.53)2 = 0.4 times the Earth's