[pct-l] bears & food

Hey, I agree that bear cans are harder for bears to get into than hung food.
My main point is that neither causes a bear to become afraid of humans. As has
been posted by others, bears have an incredible sense of smell. They are
going to detect the fact that you have food no matter what you do with it. They
have no way of knowing from a distance whether they will be able to get your
food or not. If they are not afraid of you, they are going to enter your camp to
investigate. This close proximity is not good for them or us and is not a
natural thing in the wilderness.  They could get hurt by scared hikers throwing
rocks, we could get hurt if they get aggressive for some reason. I would like to
see the Park Service use methods that have been used in other areas with
success to condition the bears to not enter our camps, mainly with non injurious
methods such as dog harassment. It makes sense to me. I just want the Park
Officials to have open minds on this. I don't feel that they do when they simply
pass new regulations that rely on inexperienced hikers to solve the problem for
them. I am hoping that one of the many hundreds of people on this list knows
somebody in Park management well enough to influence them enough to at least
give the conditioning method a try.
  My experience with Park Officials here in Washington has shown that they
pretty much do as they want and ignore public input. (the goat fiasco in the
Olympics -e-mail me if you want details). I fear that is the case in the Sierra.
I don't like the idea of being forced to carry extra weight, but that is quite
secondary to the welfare of the bears. I don't think they are on the right
track and that is why I am speaking out. I guess it boils down to whether or not
you think bears should be afraid of us or not. Some people don't want them to
be so they can get up close and gawk at them and get close up pictures. That
is why they once had open dumps in Yosemite
 Hope this makes sense.