[pct-l] bears & food

> the right circumstances.  I've done some hiking in bear country and have
> never seen one.  How likely is it that one would encounter a bear on the
> PCT, any real statistics?

No statistics, but here's some old anecdotal data: On our 1977 thru hike, we
saw bears at Tuolumne Meadows, Marble Mountains, and Old Baldy (southern
Oregon)--total of five visual sightings. In addition, we saw irrefutable
evidence of recent bear activity at Lake Arrowhead (southern California),
Kings Canyon, elsewhere in Marble Mountains, and Walupt Lake trail (southern
Washington).

More recent trips in the Sierra (but usually after thru-hiker season)
confirm that they are most definitely still out there. Will you see one?
Only if you're lucky.