[pct-l] bears and food

I'm in the planning stages for an '04 hike,  I've been watching this list for a while but haven't seen this question posed.  Bears and Food:

How often do you bear bag you food while thru hiking?  I usually hike a couple of miles after dinner and don't camp at established sites

I thought that canisters are required on some parts of the trail.  Are there also places where  boxes are provided.

I'm from the midwest and don't have much bear experience. Just looking to hear what is commonplace among thru hikers

thanks

dep