[pct-l] Umbrella Holders

For the most part, hikers using two poles didn't use an umbrella.  There were a few people who tried them at first, but nothing really worked for keeping them on the packs.  Puck tried the toilet paper roll holder for about three days, and then it imploded on him.  He sent the umbrella back after awhile.  Only about 8 people that I knew of kept the umbrellas past the desert section, and not many had umbrellas to start with.

I really like the idea of carrying your shade with you, but in use, the umbrella didn't seem to hold up to thru-hiker usage (especially coated in mylar - too many branches to tear it on).  Also, don't expect it to really keep the rain off either.  A couple people from this summer tried using umbrellas instead of rain gear, and became hypothermic (or close to it) after the first all day rain storm in the southern california section.  Personally, carrying two hiking poles seems like a much better option.

However, I was told a really cool idea by a past Oregon/Washington section hiker that makes me want to reconsider the whole umbrella thing.  His son had fashioned a couple of mosquito net sacks that fit over their umbrellas, and went down to waist level, with a couple of velcro slits in the side for arms.  That way they could walk through the mosquito clouds in peace, and when they stopped, they could prop up their umbrellas over their heads, and eat completely enclosed in bug netting.  He also warned not to use no-see-um netting, which is kinda hard to see out of.  I was almost to the point of carrying an umbrella, and hooking one of these contraptions up, when the bugs started dying off around Dunsmuir.  I may just rig up a similar deal, with no umbrella, for my external frame pack.

Good luck with the umbrella, it sounds like a great idea if you can get it to work for you.

-Navigator

Marshall Karon <m.karon@comcast.net> wrote:
The thought of an umbrella holder seems really nice and I really wanted one
on my through hike. But, after dealing with strong and variable winds in the
Southern section, I really doubt the practically of it. Also, depending on
the time of day and the trail direction, the sun always seemed to be in a
different position.

How did those with 2 trekking poles manage?

Marshall Karon
Portland, OR
m.karon@comcast.net