[pct-l] Backpacking Computers

In a message dated 12/13/03 10:22:00 AM, littlemazdatruck@hotmail.com writes:

<< I  hate to be a wet blanket, but isn't one of the joys of backpacking to
get

away from this stuff?  I mean, if one must take the office with them, why

bother going?

I read an article in National Geographic on the American Indian. When asked
why they had adopted the white man's culture instead of clinging to their old
ways and customs, an Indian replied. We are pragmatists. If its there why not
use it?
  Things like computers and cell phones are neutral. It is we that decide to
place connotations like good or evil on them, and it is we that decide just
how far to let them into our lives. If you judge computers on the trail to be a
bad thing, then simply don't use them. Of course I am speaking from a
perspective where I can isolate myself from others a will since I am self employed and
don't work in an office. I might think differently if I was constantly
tethered to a cell phone or pager.
  It's kind of like wanting to be the first person somewhere. You can
fantasize that you are until you see signs that you aren't. You can fantasize that
you are getting away from civilization in a remote place until you see someone
talking on a cell phone on top of Mt Rainier. The technology is there, people
are going to use it and there is no going back. Face it. The people in Barrow
Alaska are no longer mentally isolated by their remote setting.
 So why not be a pragmatist, especially if the technology lightens your pack
weight and makes your effort more efficient (as digital cameras and PDA's do)