[pct-l] Horses on the PCT

Yes, I have completed two Mexico to Canada trips with the same horse - one
on the PCT and the other as close to the continential divide as snow,
fires, water and resupply prermitted.

I should have an article coming up in the PCTA communicator  with a little
bit of the nitty gritty of keeping a horse and yourself healthy and going
down the trail - it isn't easy.

I am willing to help in whatever way I can, but will tell you right out
that both you and your horse(s) have to be conditioned, prepared, the
equipment tested, and with adequate nuitrition.  If you are going long
distance on the PCT, very few horses or riders make it beyond 300 miles. I
have little tolerance for riders who are hard on the land and on their
horse companions.

I have a journal on pcthiker.com under the journal section and my trail
name "Goforth" - this covers the southern 1,700 miles or so.(I completed
the last 1000 miles this year just in time to see major damage done to the
Washington PCT  in October- it will probably be impassable to stock for at
least the next couple of years)

Joanne