[pct-l] Cleaning Advice Needed

At 08:46 AM 12/11/2003 -0500, Hiker97@aol.com wrote:
>Has anyone used this technique?  Go to <A
>HREF="www.diamondwipes.com">www.diamondwipes.com</A> to see products.
>The only question I had for the company was about the scent being too strong.
>  I do not want to attract animals.  They also have wipes for protecting your
>skin from the sun.  Looks promising.

I had my re-supply person put a small packet moist wipes in all my resupply
boxes. I used them, but not as often as I thought I would. It was more
effective to rise off in a stream or sink and then use my bandana with
alcohol (I use an alcohol stove) to kill/remove the stinky bacteria. This
is because I didn't just get a spot of dirt, I was typically very dirty
with my non-washable hiker tan of trail-filth. By the way, in case you do
not know, you must be very careful with alcohol around your private parts.

Bears are supposed to be curious when it comes to scents. The USFS
recommends securing anything with a scent in a bear-proof container. Though
as a stinky hiker, I'm fairly sure that would include me, but I think
there's a line somewhere... Odds are, if a bear is conditioned to
associated food with humans, he'll come around you camp moist towelettes or
not.

Tangent