[pct-l] Gates in the Sierras

----------
> From: dude <dude@fastmail.ca>
> To: goforth@cio.net
> Cc: pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net; ilja@cs.caltech.edu
> Subject: Re: [pct-l] gates in the Sierra
> Date: Monday, December 01, 2003 11:23 AM
>
> I definitely saw cattle in the sierra all around gates.  If I
> remember correctly, this was between Echo Lakes Resort and Sonora
> Pass (or the northern kennedy meadows resort on Hwy 108).
> Specifically, I am certain that there are cows just north of hwy
> 104.

I went through that area in late June-early July and in Late August.  I do
not remember a single gate on the PCT in that area on either trip.  There
were cow sign in the Kennedy creek basin and horses sign at Leavitt meadow,
no gates in either place and no stock.

I found highway 4 on the Deloreme map and in the PCT guide, but was unable
to locate 104

> As a matter of fact, the northern Kennedy Meadows Resort on Hwy 108
> raises their one cattle and serves steaks in their restaurant.  That
> resort is basically right on the PCT.

The Kennedy Meadows Resort is 11 miles from Sonora Pass and the PCT,  you
consider this "basically right on the PCT"?  I resupplied by hitchhiking
there and it is not only a long way away but also a long way down.  Saw a
lot of mules and horses there but not a single cow.  So if they raise their
own steaks, what makes you think that they do it in the high Sierra?

Goforth