[pct-l] hiking boots??

In a message dated 11/30/2003 11:16:29 AM Pacific Standard Time,
tkimmel2@hotmail.com writes:

> <A HREF="mailto:pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net";>pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net</A>

I've been backpacking for over 30 years, including an AT through trip, and
until this summer have always worn boots. Beginning last spring I switched to
trail running shoes. I did several prep hikes with a full pack over varying
terrain and my feet felt fine. It was in 150 mile section hike form Ebbots Pass to
the Devil's Post Pile that I lost my faith in shoes. The north Yosemite
section of the PCT is very rocky, and this type of surface hurt my feet. The day
before I entered Yosemite I did 18 miles, but between Dorothy Lake and Glenn
Ellen I quit early every day (10 miles) because my feet were sore. This may be
something that one can get used to or maybe its age (I'm 53) in either case I
plan I returning to boots.

DDD