[pct-l] contacts and hiking boots

CONTACTS:  I wear disposable contacts.  I wear a pair for a month then get a
new set in a resupply box.  I also always carry one extra set of contacts in
my pack.  I take my contacts out every time I go into town.  If I just go
into town to resupply and eat, I clean them out in the bathroom of a
restaurant.  If I stay overnight in a hostel or motel, I take the contacts
out overnight.  I never take them out on the trail.  I carry a small bottle
of solution, contact case, and glasses in my pack.  Check out the
travel-sized toiletries section of WalMart for a 2 oz bottle of Renu
Multi-Purpose solution.  It's only $1.50.  I've only seen this sized bottle
at WalMart.  Noplace else.

HIKING BOOTS:  Most PCT hikers wear running shoes.  Some hikers wear trail
runners.  Very few hikers wear heavy boots.   Most of us will recommend
running shoes.  They're lightweight, breathable, don't need to be broken in.
  New Balance running shoes are the most seen shoes on the trail.  On each
of my PCT hikes, I used 6 pair of New Balance shoes.

Most of the PCT trail tread is free of roots and rocks.  So, you will be
walking up and downhill, but the trail itself will be mostly flat----meaning
that there are not obstacles to turn your ankle on.  Running shoes work
fine.

Set yourself up for fun at home!  Get tips on home entertainment equipment,
video game reviews, and more here.
http://special.msn.com/home/homeent.armx