[pct-l] Ice Ax Length

In a message dated 11/25/2003 5:39:18 PM Pacific Standard Time,
david_tibor@yahoo.com writes:
>>Any thoughts on the best length for someone of my height?  I'll be carrying
two trekking poles also, so this is really just for the serious snowy / icy
slopes.>>>
This year I carried an ice ax and trekking poles.  Bound and determined not
to have carried the damned ice ax in vain, I unstrapped it at Pinchot Pass, but
didn't really need to.   I think, unless you are among the first dozenty
people to pass through, an ice ax is less important than managing the time you
cross the pass.... ususal disclaimers about amount of winter snow, etc.

No Way
Ray Echols