[pct-l] pct '04 planning

In a message dated 11/26/2003 2:06:38 AM Eastern Standard Time,
go4ahike@verizon.net writes:

> One thing you may not be aware of that you will need to do is apply for a
> permit for entry into Canada!  This has to be done at least 2 months in
> advance of entering Canada according to the application. I think the PCTA
> website has a link to download the application.

I've hiked into Canada twice without obtaining a permit beforehand.  I
suppose if someone of authority was at or near the border they could have turned me
around around, but I never saw anyone.   I found it's harder to get back into
the country.  If you don't have a passport, make sure you have a BIRTH
CERTIFICATE and a drivers license with photo.

I'm not suggesting everyone hike into Canada without a permit, but in my
case, I may have been denied for an unfortunate incident 20 years ago.

Sly