[pct-l] ice axe length.

In my opinion, an ice ax should be long enough to be a walking stick. But I
use mine when going cross country or actually mountaineering. On the PCT, where
one is only necessary for crossing relatively steep but short patches of snow
you can be much more flexible, the ice ax functioning mainly as a self arrest
tool. If I were to cross miles of snow I would certainly take a long ax to
help with balance. Yes, a long ax can be a hassle when crossing snow at a 45
degree slope or better, but that certainly won't happen on the PCT