[pct-l] sleeping bags.

I used a WM highlite with a silk liner the length of the
trail this summer.  I, too, am a warm sleeper.  However,
the highlite just didn't cut it at 3 am in the Sierra.  I liked
sleeping up high near the passes and would generally go to bed
wearing most of my clothes.  From 9 to 3am, I'd sleep ok. But,
from 3am to 7, I sleep fitfully from the cold.  Part of this
had to do with an overused sleeping pad.  I was cold, in
a similar fashion, a few nights in SoCal and maybe 1 night
in Washington.  I froze at Guitar Lake the night before walking
up Whitney and really froze near Benson pass in Yosemite
during a snow storm. All this to save about 6 oz.over
my nice, really warm WM Ultralight, which is a 20 degree
bag.  Optimally, I'd take the Ultralight from Mexico to
Sierra City, and then get the Highlite for the rest of the
trail.  Having the lighter bag was nice in NorCal and Oregon
where it was warm at night, but the skeeters are strong enough
to bite through a silk liner.  I could sleep in my bag and not
roast.

Chris

On Fri, 21 Nov 2003, David Tibor wrote:

> i have a synthetic bag, but i think there will be a
> down bag coming along with me instead on pct2004.  a
> combination of weight, warmth, and compressibility
> seems the key.
>
> with synthetic or down bags, either way you better
> keep them dry.  a synthetic will retain heat better
> damp, and dry faster, but neither will take care of
> you if they are wet and it's cold out.  either way you
> have problems.  the key is to keep it dry, in your
> pack in a waterproof stuff sack or plastic bag.  i'm
> not expecting TOO much rain for extended periods on
> the pct in California (which is the section I'm doing
> next year), so i'm not too worried.
>
> i'm looking at a western mountaineering bag in the
> lite series.  expensive, but no doubt high quality and
> light.
>
> couple more questions: i sleep very very warm, so what
> degree rating bag should i bring along?  seems like
> either a 20 or possibly 30 would be fine.  and what
> about a liner to keep the bag cleaner, and add a
> little warmth?  if a design salt silk mummy liner
> supposedly adds 9 degrees or so to a bag's rating,
> could i go with a 30 degree bag with a liner and be
> fine? (as long as I have clothes to wear to bed if
> cold also.)  will a down bag just get gunky and junky
> without a liner and 3 months of backpacking in it?
>
> thanks!

Christopher Willett
Department of Mathematics
Indiana University