[pct-l] sleeping bags.

i have a synthetic bag, but i think there will be a
down bag coming along with me instead on pct2004.  a
combination of weight, warmth, and compressibility
seems the key.

with synthetic or down bags, either way you better
keep them dry.  a synthetic will retain heat better
damp, and dry faster, but neither will take care of
you if they are wet and it's cold out.  either way you
have problems.  the key is to keep it dry, in your
pack in a waterproof stuff sack or plastic bag.  i'm
not expecting TOO much rain for extended periods on
the pct in California (which is the section I'm doing
next year), so i'm not too worried.

i'm looking at a western mountaineering bag in the
lite series.  expensive, but no doubt high quality and
light.

couple more questions: i sleep very very warm, so what
degree rating bag should i bring along?  seems like
either a 20 or possibly 30 would be fine.  and what
about a liner to keep the bag cleaner, and add a
little warmth?  if a design salt silk mummy liner
supposedly adds 9 degrees or so to a bag's rating,
could i go with a 30 degree bag with a liner and be
fine? (as long as I have clothes to wear to bed if
cold also.)  will a down bag just get gunky and junky
without a liner and 3 months of backpacking in it?

thanks!