[pct-l] pct closures in WA.

"Just heard another story about the PCT damage in WA. It said 30 miles of
the
trail are now impassible in Glacier Peak wilderness. Looks like one option
is
going to be going from Steven's Pass to Chelan via highway where a ferry can
be taken to Stehekin."

Don't start hitchhiking just yet.  There are other ways to get from Stevens
pass to Stehekin.  1) It is not impossible to hike the PCT around Glacier
Peak with the bridges out.  It was the norm during the '70s and '80s.
Although the stream crossings may be much worse after the recent storms.  A
lot depends on snow pack this year.  Crossing the Suiattle with out a bridge
may be a real problem.  2) The east side of Glacier Peak was not hit as
hard. It is in the rain shadow.  Jump off of the PCT at White Pass.  Hike
down the White River to Boulder Creek.  Hike up Boulder Creek and cross
Boulder pass into Napeequa Valley.  Exit Napeequa either over High Pass to
Buck Creek Pass or over Little Giant Pass to the Chiwawa River and up the
road a short distance to the old mining town of Trinity.  High pass is more
technical.  From Buck Creek Pass or Trinity, there are several routes to
lake Chelan and the PCT.  Napeequa Valley is one of the most beautiful
places that I have ever seen.  This route was listed as a PCT alternate on
older Forest Service maps.  3) There may be trails to the west of the PCT
that were not damaged as heavily as the PCT.  I am not as familiar with that
area as I am with the east side.

On a related note, I am surprised that more people don't ride the ferry down
to Chelan from Stehekin to re-supply.  Chelan has real grocery stores and
restaurants.  The ferry is kind of expensive and you have to stay the night
in Chelan.  That, and being so near the end of the trip, may deter most
people.

Tom