[pct-l] RE: Headlamps and Flashlights

I lead a night hike once a year. The participants are allowed to bring
flashlights, however, I only allow them to use the lights for emergency or
if they get overwhelmed by a fear of darkness. Most generally they are so
suprised by what they are able to see that the flashlights aren't ever
turned on. It is amazing how many people are uncomfortable with the dark. I
use the inspiration from the night hike to lead a writing workshop the next
morning and it is usually a tranformational event for folks doing the  hike
for the first time, and even the second. I get some really deep writing from
these folks.

Hiking in S. Texas can be more pleasant most of the year at night, anyway
:-)

Gina
hikethewild.com