[pct-l] Red Photon

I used a red and an orange Photon on my thruhike.  Never had to change the
batteries.  I found out that the red Photon had its drawbacks.  Beyond the
faintness of its beam, I found that it makes greenery look grey and about
the same value as rocks etc in the dark(Green is a compliment to red
=grey).  It worked fine where there was some bits of reflective objects
along or in the trail (I.e. light rocks, gravel,edges), but in a deep
woods, it did not give very much"depth of field", and I found I had to slow
down to keep from stumbling.  It could be that my night vision is very
poor, but I frequently like to walk at night or in deep twilight with no
light at all.

Also, I was using myPhoton with a couple of guys who were not thruhikers
and they were absolutely convinced that I could not see where I was going.
They had bright headlights and kept turning around to show me the way.  the
result was that my eyes kept getting saturated and then I really could not
see where I was going and the Photon was useless.

With a horse, I always carry something a lot brighter, in case some
untoward thing happens in the night.  Also should I ever ride at night in
an emergency, I want a beam that is going to light up the ground and is
longer.

Goforth

://mailman.hack.net/mailman/listinfo/pct-l