[pct-l] Big Fires and FEMA

First, my heart goes out to those who lost their homes in the big California
fires.  I hope they get their lives back together, but as a crushed tax payer,
I am curious about the big fires and homeowners insurance.  I think that
river flooding and hurricane victims get some type of homeowners insurance through
FEMA (my tax dollars), so they can live in these areas (often a life style
choice).  Private insurance companies often stay away from this business.  I
think developers pushed through legislation years ago, so they could build in
river and coastal areas and homeowner insurance would be available.  Is FEMA
providing the same deals for mountain dwellers?

Also, I think I heard that some homeowner associations had strict rules on
bush clearance and survived the fires with no problems.  I guess residents in
all these fire areas pay part of their taxes for fire protection.  I wonder if
there are extra tax assessments for living in these fire prone areas,
especially during the big drought.

Since some of my tax dollars might be involved, I want to stay informed.  Any
info will be appreciated. Thanks, Switchback