[pct-l] Re: Sierra Runs

Gail and I hiked the whole PCT in 2003. Gail had the runs right thru the
Sierra - they cleared up after Sonora Pass. I had no runs at all during that
time. We were drinking the same water. We concluded that the runs could have
had something to do with the altitude for Gail. We rarely treated water on
our PCT hike. We did carry some 'Pristine' drops which we used when taking
water from some lakes or potentially cattle or human infested water. These
60ml bottles lasted us until Central Oregon then we got some tablets from a
hiker box but we rarely used them. As for the pink snow, we have that in the
Canadian Rockies and drink melt water from that snow often with no ill
effect.
I had 3 days of the runs after leaving Aqua Dulce but Gail did not. I think
that the water from Bear Spring was the problem as I drank from there and
Gail did not.

Alistair