[pct-l] Training in So. Cal.

> I attended the WTC in S. Ca ...
> Although it was somewhat beneficial I found that most of the volunteers
were
> limited in actual experience except as week end warriors. The idea of
> backpacking Lite was not promoted in the classes.

I suppose that with these courses, as with everything, YMMV. I know that GVP
has spoken at at least one WBC course in San Diego County, and the North San
Diego County WBC page http://members.cox.net/wbc2003/index.htm includes the
following in their schedule:

"* Lightweight Backpacking: How to travel ultra-light. No, not by whining
about how heavy your pack is until your partners agree to take some of your
stuff for you (though this can work). See how much things weigh, and how
fifty 8-ounce things can add up to a lot of extra weight. Tricks for shaving
your pack weight down to a minimum, while still packing safely."

While I have never attended this course, I think some kind of course is
worthwhile for those who have never backpacked. This is one option, and
there are many others. The Boy Scouts in San Diego offer a good backpack
course for Scout leaders as well, which includes a winter trip to San
Jacinto and rock climbing.

AsABat