[pct-l] RE: digital cameras on the PCT 04

Here's a write up of the camera I used for a PCT 2002 thru-hike:
http://www.cupcakewalk.com/photos/system.html.

Technology changes so fast.  Since I own my current camera, I'll probably
take it on the CDT next year, but if I were shopping, here's what would be
on my mind:

->Great optics - digital or film, your photos are only as good as the optics
in the lens. (Carl Zeiss lenses are great.  I still like Nikon optics.) If
your camera uses mirrors to make it smaller, you are probably compromising
on this aspect of the camera.

->4+Megapixels (As many as you can afford and get the other features you
want.)

->That new, amazing portable CD burner that does not need a PC to make CDs
of what's on you CompactFlash, SD, MMC, etc. media. (Thanks to whoever
posted the info about that device.) Bounce it and send CDs home for peace of
mind.

->Macro capabilities-What a digital lacks in capturing great vistas (at
least at 3.1 megapixels), they make up for when you are inches away from
your subject. I'm still amazed at my own photos of mushrooms:
www.cupcakewalk.com/journal/september.html#mushrooms.

->AA or AAA batteries are best, but I decided that was the one feature I was
willing to let go of to get the other features of the Nikon 885 (now 4300) I
chose.

I took 1,339 images (after on-trail deleting) which take 634MB to store. For
me with no CD burner: Two 512MB cards and hope that nothing happens, or four
256MB cards that rotate home through the mail (and hope that they all show
up) would be the next-best solution.

John B., the hiker formerly known as Cupcake