[pct-l] Don't try this at home...

Hi Gang,
On this list, in the past, and surely in the future, there is often times talk of the fastest recorded PCT thru-hike.  (Which, by the way, is currently 'held' by Ray "Wall" Greenlaw, at least according to his website).

Anyway, I've developed a new category to compete in.  It goes like this;
The cheapest thru-hike.  I might already hold the record, but I'm sure it can be broken with very little forethought.  Add the expense of getting to and from the trail, along with the following; all equipment used...all food consumed...all incidentals (like the very-necessary laundry costs) and all mailing costs.  There's also the cost of a thru-hiker's permit (which is entirely optional to me) and those pesky box-pick up fees, like the over-priced one in VVR.  Basically, all expenses that have anything to do with the thru-hike are to be included.  A good rule of thumb for the food expense is a dollar per mile in this day and age.  I did it closer to a dime a mile, thanks to a self-induced case of Anorexia Nervosa, not to mention the fact that I'm one hell of a frugal dude.  Just ask Tangent for proof!  Believe it or not, one pair of no-name shoes can last most the trail!

I'd like everyone to please post their estimated total expense of their thru-hike...including you old-timers when you did yours back in the stone age.  I believe mine (in 2002) to be in the $1500 range...thanks in part to the hiker boxes en route and a plethora of homemade gear.

Nearly Sincerely,
The CheapSkate...

Chuckie V (Funnybone!)