[pct-l] Section C Closure and Re-route Information

Pete sent this to me this afternoon:

Trail Closure announced by Mountaintop RD/SBNF affects PCT Section C from 3N16 on Holcomb Creek (Mile 293.8) to Cajon Junction at I-15 (Mile 344.7).

This closure, resulting from recent wildfires, affects about 51 miles of the trail and could be long-term because of the damage to Splinters bridge across Deep Creek.  The alternatives listed below are dangerous if attempted on foot (heavy traffic on narrow mountain roads) and suicidal for stock.  The only viable alternative is for hikers/equestrians to arrange in advance for transportation around the burn area before they reach Big Bear.  Bill McConnell, our Area Coordinator in Big Bear, will post the latest closure information at the PCTA Trail Register at the Post Office in Big Bear City.  We will also post notices of the closure in trail registers south and north of Big Bear.

SBNF lists these options -  southbounders reverse directions from I-15
1) exit hwy 18 at Johnson Grade and drive to where the PCT crosses I15 at Cajon Pass
2) take PCT to 3N16 at Holcomb Creek and bail out on 3N16 to Green Valley Lake Rd then take hwy 18 to 330 (when these roads reopen to all traffic) to San Bernardino to I15.
3) Jump off the PCT at Little Bear Springs then travel 3N14 out to Apple Valley (this option is only workable if the gate at Big Pine Flat remains open).

We may be able to organize volunteers to help get hikers around the closure, but trail users should not count on this and should make arrangements on their own beforehand.

J.L. (Pete) Fish
PCTA  So. CA Regional Trail Coordinator
pickaxep@pcez.com