[pct-l] Sierra runs

In a message dated 11/6/03 2:04:34 PM, edmond@mydogmeg.net writes:

<< The pink snow is snow algae. I've heard it's toxic, but have no idea if
accidental consumption would cause diarrhea. It could be the pink snow
and/or all the melting snow collecting the previous season's marmot, deer,
bear and hiker scat into the otherwise pristine water sources.

When it hasn't rained for a while, most water in creeks filters itself out
fairly well in a short distance. It is when it is raining hard -- or just rained
hard -- that contaminants overwhelm the creeks ability to cleanse itself.
That is the only time I am somewhat leery to drink untreated water -- when the
creeks and rivers are running brown.
   As Obi Wan Kenobi, Yoda and Jardine would say, "feel the force" Your
anxiety comes from fear of getting giardia, even though there isn't much you can do
about preventing exposure. Studies show that just as high a percentage of
people-or higher-treating their water contracting giardia as those who don't
   It's just like aluminum pots and eggs. They've been given bad press so
everybody is going to believe they're not good for you for decades to come. So it
is with wilderness water. The forest service has given IT a bad rap by
declaring "treat all water" even though it is a fact that the drinking water of San
Francisco has a higher percentage of giardia cysts than any Sierra lake ever
tested. Studies suggest that giardia is spread just like e-coli -- through
social contact such as rummaging through a hiker box or sharing gorp
  I am utterly convinced of that. Delusional or not, it allows me to drink
wilderness water with complete mental immunity. If I were to get the runs, I
would just assume I got them from some non water source. I can't and won't
mentally accept that the wilderness water I have drunk for nearly 50 years with
impunity is not potable.
   Now any major city's water untreated is another story. I just assume its
unfit to drink and that is why they have to chlorinate it