[pct-l] photography on pct.

well bill,

i'm completely sold on digital photography.  fast,
easy, no film to buy (just a CD card), no nasty
pollution from developing, and most of all - it just
makes me take more pics.  LOTS more pics.  i don't
think "is this worth a picture" (like I used to do
with regular film), i just take the picture (or three
or twelve).  on my 10 day tahoe thru-hike, i took 600
odd pictures.  i know i wouldn't have taken that many
with a film camera... i just wouldn't have.  it really
leads to experimentation which has led to some
fantastic shots.  you can also take panoramic
sequences that can be easily auto-stitched in a
computer to make great panoramas.

so i love my canon s40 (which has been replaced by the
s45, and s50 for a 5 megapixel). i wouldn't get less
than a 3 megapixel camera, and i'm pretty sold on 4
megapixels.  allows me to make nice large prints of my
good pics (those rare ones!).  the canon s400 "digital
elph" is also pretty darn cool - smaller and 4
megapixels.  i know there are also other non-Canon
great cameras out there, to be sure.

if i were you, i'd do a bunch of reading on cnet's
digital camera page:
http://reviews.cnet.com/Digital_cameras/2001-6501_7-0.html?tag=cnetfd.glnav

as far as storage, i bought three 128 Mb cards, but
now the 512 Mb cards are so cheap ($120?) I'd probably
just get one (or two) of those.  and I'm thinking
about a portable CD burner in the bounce box to
offload them to cd to mail home (see previous post).

can't wait to have about a billion subjects along the
trail for photos next spring and summer!

best,

dave.