[pct-l] Introduction

Oh, what the heck. Is this part of the Hiker's 12 step
program? Admitting the problem is the first part of
recovery? :-)

Anyway...

My name, in case you did not read the e-mail, is Paul
Magnanti. Known on the trail and in "real life" as
Mags - a family nickname that goes back to at least my
grandfather.  I am 29 yo, currently living at the base
of the Rockies in Boulder, CO. (or as some call it,
the People's Republic of Boulder).

Born and raised in the "mountainous" state of Rhode
Island. Not exactly know for outdoor recreation,
unless you count the stories some of the old timers
talk about concerning people who vanished and now
"sleep with the fishes". Ahem.

Unlike many others on this list, the outdoors was not
part of my childhood. Dad said he did enough camping
in the army, my Grandfather had a backpacking tour of
Europe in the '40s that seemed to have soured him on
the idea of camping out as well.****

In 1996, did my first backpacking trip ever. Though I
became lost, was out of shape and overweight, carried
too much food and gear -enjoyed myself anyway. Became
addicted.  THat summer, spent every free weekend I had
 up in Whites of New Hampshire. Something about the
raw beauty of above treeline stuck a chord with me.
In 1997, wanted to see if I would enjoy a longer trip.

Did Vermont's 270 mile Long Trail. The time spent on
this hiking classic was fantastic. Saw great scenery,
mountains and enjoyed the freedom that comes with
being out in the wilderness for an extended perioud of
time. Wanted more!

In 1998, thru-hiked the AT. For five mos, had a
journey that is still resonating five years later.
The white blaze led not only to Katahdin, but to also
seeing life from a different point of view.  One year
to the day I summited the Big K, drove out to Colorado
- where I have been ever since.

Last year, did another long walk, this time on the
PCT.
If AT showed a different type of lifestyle, the PCT
confirmed this lifestyle was the one I wanted to live
as much as possible. In the 4 mos or so on the PCT,
again enjoyed the freedom of being in the mountains.
One my favorite backpacking memories ever was the
nearly 10 days I spent in the High Sierra w/o a
re-supply. Instense beauty, big climbs, limitless
views. Also made friendships on this trail that are
still strong over a year later (you know who you guys
are!).

As mentioned, I have lived in Colorado since 1999.
Living in Boulder, where the plains meet the Rockies,
have the chance to play quite a bit. Weekends are
truly what I live for out here. The foothills of the
Rockies are literally minutes away by bike, the
continental divide is less than an hour from my house.
On any given day I can be on a 14er, be on a high
mountain pass on the divide, backcounry ski or enjoy a
local hike on a 8500' peak. With the friends and life
I made for myself out here, gotta say life is good.
It also helps living in a community where people
understand the need to make nature a priority.

Next year, I am planning another long walk.  This time
in my "backyard" of the Rockies. STarting in late
June,  plan on starting in Glacier National Park and
working my way down to the Mexican border on the
Continental Divide Trail. It will be my third long
trek, it is about 3000 miles, and I will be turning
30.
Seems 2004 is a good year to go hiking on the CDT.

So that is me in a nutshell. Rhody native. Colorado
resident. Hiker trash.

Mags

**** In all seriousness, I read the account of my
grandfather's division (ROCK OF ANZIO). Like many men
of his generation, was reluctant to talk about his
experiences.  Can see why after reading this book. His
division was the 45th, the same division that Bill
Mauldin of "Willie and Joe" fame was from, for any
fellow history buffs out there. And, as a side note,
after doing some family research, turns out that up
until the 1960's, at least one of my relatives (be it
a great-great grandad, or my grandfather's uncle) was
the equivalent of a ranger in the mountain that
surrounds the village where my great-grandfather came
from. Ain't that cool?

=====
--Thoreau